My mom required 24/7 Oxygen. The tubing came out and the home care aid did not know get her on a portable tank and my mom died.

Asked 11 months ago - Grayson, GA

The aide said she never received any training from the agency for working with my mom's oxygen. and she wasn't even licensed when the agency placed her into my mom's home. According to her they just needed a body. When the cord became tangled the aide thought the asthma nebulizer was oxygen and tried to administer that to my mother. My mom died right in front of the aide while waiting for the aide to help her. Is the agency liable?

1. Jonathan P. Sexton

Pro

11

Answered . You should consult an attorney to discuss this case because it sounds like you might have a case. I am very sorry for your loss.

2. Noah Howard Pines

Pro

9

Answered . The agency may be liable but more information is needed to give you a definitive answer.

3. John Michael Phillips

Pro

9

Answered . I am so sorry about this egregious and tragic loss. This sounds like a case, but more information is needed. A Georgia medical malpractice lawyer, like us, would be happy to investigate this for no cost to you. Have you called one?

Avvo has a search feature or you can call or email one of the lawyers who posted here by clicking the box next to their / our name. You should do so soon. Actions for medical malpractice must be commenced within two years of the date the act giving rise to the injury occurred. More importantly, investigation needs to occur promptly.

Our deepest condolences.

4. Benjamin S Kuipers

9

1

Answered . Immediately consult with a GA personal injury/wrongful death attorney regarding your claims. From the limited fact pattern you've shared, I believe you may well have a substantive claim here.

5. Jennifer Ann Kurle

7

Answered . Any home health caregiver should know how to address and troubleshoot problems with oxygen delivery devices -- especially something as straightforward as a tubing disconnect.

6. Robert Shannon Carpenter

Pro

7

Answered . From the limited information you provided, it sounds like there may be a viable claim. However, you need to consult with medical/elder abuse attorney as soon as possible to perform a more thorough investigation.

7. Philip Wesley Lorenz

7

Answered . I am so sorry for your loss. From the brief facts given, yes you have a claim against the agency. Given the in-home care situation, there will be rules and regulations that were supposed to be followed, and it sounds like the agency either didn't know, or didn't care when it placed an untrained, unqualified caregiver in the position of caring for your mother. The agency will be responsible for the caregiver's actions under a doctrine called respondeat superior. I strongly urge you to contact a highly qualified personal injury who handles wrongful death claims, since some of the possible claims must be brought in the name of your mother's estate and an administrator must be appointed before suit can be filed. Use Avvo.com to find several qualified attorneys in your area who offer free consultations, meet with all of them, and choose the one you are most comfortable and confident in. Best of luck to you, and again, i am sorry for your family's loss.

8. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

7

Answered . I am sorry for your loss. While more facts are needed, this could be a significant suit and you should see a lawyer ASAP.

9. Robert Wesley Starrett

7

Answered . I am very sorry to hear about your mom. It sounds like there may have been some negligence on the part of the care provider agency. Consult a wrongful death lawyer in Georgia. Consults are free

10. Robert G. Rothstein

8

Answered . It sounds as though you may have a significant wrongful death claim, subject of course, to further investigation into viability and causation. A lawyer experienced in handling professional negligence claims (rather than an auto accident atty., for example) should be consulted as soon as possible

11. David Ian Schoen

Pro

7

Answered . It appears like it. Consult with a local experienced medical malpractice attorney ASAP.

Pro

7

Answered . It is certainly possible. Retain a local lawyer to investigate. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

13. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

6

Answered . I agree with the attorneys who have responded. This sounds egregious and you should contact a local lawyer as soon as possible. The vulnerable members of our families need protection.

14. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

6

Answered . Please accept my deepest sympathy for your loss. The agency could be liable on several theories, although many more facts are needed to say for sure. You should consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can evaluate your claim and maximize the compensation available in this situation.

15. James Edward Butler III

3

Answered . There is a strong possibility that the agency is liable. You could conceivably bring two claims: (1) a wrongful death claim, and (2) a claim on behalf of your mother's estate. Analyzing and filing the claims is complicated, however, so you should seek the advice of a lawyer with experience in the area.

16. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

3

Answered . As others have said, I share my condolences for your loss. As far as your claims go, it is always difficult in a forum like this to fully evaluate whether you have a claim that can be effectively won, or even fought. What I will say having read your short description is, you deserve to have someone to listen to the full story and complete an investigation. In Georgia, medical malpractice claims are complicated, and need to be looked at by an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice cases. Call one of us on this forum who practice in medical malpractice - we'll listen to you and offer any advice we can. None of that costs you anything. Also keep in mind that Georgia has strict time limits within which you have to bring a claim or you lose it forever - under most circumstances that is 2 years from the date of your mother's injury/death. Good luck and I hope you take a minute to follow up so you can get closure either way.