My mom passed away leaving real estate. Can I sign property over to a relative, without it being transferred from her to me yet?

The properties are still in my moms name. A relative of mine is asking me to sign them over to them. Can I legally do that even though the properties haven't lawfully been placed in my name yet? They are still under hers.

Baltimore, MD -

Attorney Answers (2)

Nicholas Bernard Proy

Nicholas Bernard Proy

Business Attorney - Finksburg, MD

You can't transfer any of the assets until the estate has been probated. You should contact an estate administration/probate attorney for help.

I proudly serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. My phone number is (443) 352-8517 and my email address is For more information, you can also visit my website at

Licensed in MD, PA and DC. This is not legal advice. I am not your attorney until we have mutually agreed that I... more
Thomas C Valkenet

Thomas C Valkenet

Construction / Development Lawyer - Baltimore, MD

If there is no Will, then Maryland's statutes determine who inherits the property. And then, an Estate must be opened and an Personal Representative appointed to administer the Estate. If the property does not have to be sold to satisfy Mom's debts, then the Personal Representative would be authorized to sign a deed.

Related Topics

Inheriting property

Inherited property is property that you receive after someone has died. You may inherit property according to the person's will or under your state's laws.

Featured Legal Guides

Deed to property

A deed is a written document describing a piece of real estate and documenting the transfer of ownership from one person (the grantor) to another (grantee).

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.