My mom passed away leaving real estate. Can I sign property over to a relative, without it being transferred from her to me yet?

Asked over 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

The properties are still in my moms name. A relative of mine is asking me to sign them over to them. Can I legally do that even though the properties haven't lawfully been placed in my name yet? They are still under hers.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Nicholas Bernard Proy

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can't transfer any of the assets until the estate has been probated. You should contact an estate administration/probate attorney for help.

    I proudly serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. My phone number is (443) 352-8517 and my email address is For more information, you can also visit my website at

    Licensed in MD, PA and DC. This is not legal advice. I am not your attorney until we have mutually agreed that I... more
  2. Thomas C Valkenet


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If there is no Will, then Maryland's statutes determine who inherits the property. And then, an Estate must be opened and an Personal Representative appointed to administer the Estate. If the property does not have to be sold to satisfy Mom's debts, then the Personal Representative would be authorized to sign a deed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,141 answers this week

2,961 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,141 answers this week

2,961 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary