My mom has to turn herself in tomorrow to start her 6 month sentence for DUI...is there anything I can do to get her out of it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Northport, NY

My mom got a DUI about 2 years ago and after doing well for a while on probation, she missed court a couple times then didn't report to probation bc she was afraid shed get locked up. The cops came last Friday and took her in. The judge gave her 6 months in jail. He gave her a week to get her affairs in order bc she takes care of me, my sister, and her landlord who is in a wheel chair. She had legal aid and pled guilty bc she didn't k ow what else to do. Is there any way to get her on house arrest or where she does jail on the weekends or something. I'm really freaking about about this please help!

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . It is very difficult to change a sentence after the fact. She can ask the Judge if he/she will consider weekends but I would not put much hope in it at this point in the proceedings.

2. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

2

Answered . There is nothing you can do at all.

3. Zev Goldstein

Pro

2

Answered . I am sorry this is happening to your mother.
    You can pray for her.

4. John J. Carney

Pro

Answered . It is not possible to change the sentence. She made very bad decisions and now she must concentrate on the future. All you can do is to suggest she get sober, study for a career, make a 5 year plan to be more successful and follow it, improve her people skills, communication skills, job skills, and get on the right track or this will just the start of her troubles. Please choose "best answer" if this helps.