My mom fell and broke her shoulder while a patient in the hospital and then a few days later she fell again. Can we sue?

My mother is blind and is in the hospital for her kidneys. They gave her a laxative and when she called for help no one came for about 30 mins and was unable to hold it any longer so she attempted to get up and find the toilet. She ended up falling and breaking her shoulder. A few days later after know that my mother is very weak and can barely stand because of the medicine she was given the nurse on shift tried to take her to the restroom and ended up dropping my mom where again she hurt her self and broke her finger. I don't understand wht precautions weren't made to prevent this know that she can't see. And also for some reason after getting cut in the neck for dialysis she lost a lot of her hearing in the ear on the side where they made the cut.

Grand Prairie, TX -

Robert Warren Painter

Robert Warren Painter

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Houston, TX

I am sorry to hear what your mother has gone through. The nursing standard of care requires the nursing staff to monitor and assist patients, and it certainly appears that their inattentive lack of care caused your mother injury. Based on what you have said, I believe that you should contact a qualified medical malpractice attorney to evaluate your case.

Sean Michael Patrick

Sean Michael Patrick

Personal Injury Lawyer - Sacramento, CA

It sounds like you need to consult with a medical malpractice attorney in your area to really evaluate the facts of the case. It appears that you may have a claim if you can show that the hospital/medical staff acted outside of the standard of care -- that is what other health care professionals of the same training would have done in a similar incident. I hope your mother is ok. Be aware that these types of claims have a small window of time to act, so dont delay. Best of luck.

There is a duty of care to infirm patients and it certainly sounds like it was breached.
See a lawyer and pursue a claim. This type of neglect is not tolerable.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's accident, and a nurse should have been there for her. Retain a local med mal lawyer to investigate.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Don Karotkin

Don Karotkin

I am sorry about what happened to your mother.

Yes, you can sue. The Texas constitution guarantees all citizens free access to our courts. Anyone can sue anyone, at any time, anywhere, for any reason and for any amount of money, all without first proving anything to anyone. However, filing a lawsuit and winning one are two entirely different things.

I suggest that you promptly consult a Dallas plaintiffs' lawyer who is certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Medical malpractice is a sub-specialty of personal injury trial. A link to the Board's website appears below.

www.tbls.org