My mom died in 1997, I was not there when she passed. It has been 16 years and I have not received any inheritance.

New York, NY |

When I ask my brother and sister about my share of the inheritance due me, if any, they avoid the issue and discontinue talking to me.
Unless I was excluded by name from the will I should receive something. What should I do next?

The likelihood that you are going to receive anything sixteen years after your mother's death is not good. You should consult with a probate attorney about your situation.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

Why did you wait so long? Consult with a NY probate attorney but the statute of limitation and/or the practical chance to recover anything has probably long since passed.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates