Skip to main content

My mom died from lung cancer in 2010.Can I sue a tabacco company.

Calumet City, IL |

My mom died in 2010 from lung cancer after smoking for over 50yrs. She had a heart attack in 2002 and was told to quit smoking which she did. Over the course of the next 9 yrs she saw a doctor almost monthly. No one bother to monitor her lung cancer

Attorney Answers 5

  1. If no one bothered to monitor your mother's lung cancer, that is not the fault of the tobacco company. If you wish to look into filing an action against a tobacco company, you should consult with an attrorney who is experienced taking on the big tobacco conglomerates. There have been many suits filed, both winning and losing. The facts of the individual case are important. If you find a lawyer to take your case, count on spending huge amounts of money and time before the case is concluded.

  2. There have been many successful lawsuits in Florida. You should look on the web for attorneys handling these cases.

  3. You don't have any theory of liability.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

  4. Best bet is to Google 'tobacco lawsuit lawyer' for a list of lawyers who handle these claims.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  5. If her healthcare professionals failed to detect or monitor her lung cancer, that could be a medical malpractice matter, not a fault of the tobacco companies.

    Rockford Personal Injury Attorney
    J. Hansen Law Firm
    320 Shaw Street
    Rockford, IL 61104
    Toll Free: (877) 205-6625
    Phone: (312) 878-6410
    Fax: (312) 878-6410
    Twitter: @JHansenLawFirm

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.