My mom died 2 years ago my dad, (12 years back) with written instruction that "...

Asked over 1 year ago - Kansas City, MO

My mom died 2 years ago my dad, (12 years back) with written instruction that "...the described properties shall not be partitioned for a period of twenty (20) years but shall be enjoyed by them one after another..." My questions centers on 3 issues:
1. Can the 6 compulsory heirs agree to partition the land & eventually dispose of the same?
2. Can we all agree to sell a portion of the property to pay back dues & taxes?
3. Can we all agree to alter some of the provisions in the name of 'fairness'?

Your utmost concern on this regard shall be highly appreciated.

fakoy

1. Leonard Komen

Pro

3

Answered . No attorney can answer this without seeing the document with the instructions. If it is in a Will, that no longer matters if the Will was not filed for probate within one year of his date of death. It if is a deed, an attorney must see that deed, but that could be enforceable. If it is merely a letter of instructions, it is not binding and:
    1. the current owners can sell the land
    2. the current owners can sell any part and use the proceeds as they wish - pay taxes or otherwise.
    3. the current owners can agree to do something else.

This all assumes the "instructions" are not in a recorded deed.
    Notice I used the words "current owners" which may different from what you termed "compulsory heirs."

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

4

Answered . This question is rather confusing. I am not clear if these instructions were part of a will or a trust or just general instructions? To the extent that these instructions are not a part of a deed, will, trust or other legally binding document they may have no effect. I think you would be well advised to seek the advice of an attorney to deal with the estate(s) of your parents.

3. M. Todd Miller

1

Answered . I agree with the other two attorneys in that without the documentation in front of me, the inquiries are difficult. I can only imagine your parents had a trust with provisions determining the disposition of the property. The trustee(s) must adhere to the terms of the trust until and unless all of the heirs petition him/her to act as they wish. Even then, if the trustee wants to hold fast to the terms of the trust, you may have a fight on your hands.