Skip to main content

My mom became a citizen when I was 12 how would I know if I'm a citizen.

Paterson, NJ |

I never did anything or went to clear my status?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Were you living with your mother at that time?
    Did she have sole-and-exclusive custody?

    If you said yes, two times, you should be ok.

    Meet with an attorney to confirm this information.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  2. How old are you now? We will need to check the provisions of the Child Citizenship Act for you. Call an immigration lawyer who can meet with you and do the research.

  3. The law changed in 2001 and it depends on the law that was in effect at the time all the conditions were satisfied. It also depends on the status of your father. Please contact an immigration attorney to determine if you are a citizen. If you are, they can help you obtain a certificate of citizenship. If you are not, they can tell you whether it is possible or advisable to naturalize in your situation.

    Best of Luck!

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics