My middle name was spelled wrong from my DWI arrest in 2005, is there anyway to have that taken off my record and recoup my fine

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

Today I went to renew my drivers license and they said it was suspended because of a dilenqunt payment from a DWI from around 2005. This is not true because after I paid all my dues I got my license in 2009 with no suspension on it. Today when I look at papers from Texas DPS I noticed my middle name was spelled Gen instead of Gene. Please let me know if I have any recourse here. I would like to get this off my record and have my fines and fees returned.

1. Bart Charles Craytor

8

Answered . Did they make you pay twice? Can you prove that you paid them twice? If not, then I wouldn't expect any refund to be forthcoming to you. Good Luck

2. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

6

Answered . The misspelling is irrelevant. If you paid your surcharges in full back then, you should be able to recreate the proof through bank records and clear it up withDPS. I know it's a pain, but it's worth it.

3. Richard Stephen Jaffe

7

Answered . If your middle name ws spelled wrongly, that would not alow you to challenge your prior conviction with success.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.
  4. Ted Harvatin

Pro

7

Answered . No

5. Richard Timothy Jones

5

Answered . If the DPS has you confused with someone else about your criminal history and you paid fines that you didn't need to pay then you can request a refund. If DPS made a mistake unrelated to spelling your name wrong then you may be entitled to a refund. If they only misspelled your name and you owed them money, then you can't get a refund.
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    512-495-1813
    Austin DWI Lawyer

6. Sharon Tal Diamant

2

Answered . Not a shot