My manager says I need to check my punches myself but never showed assistant managers how to do it, so they could show others

Bath, NY |

I'm asking on behalf of a friend. I myself have previously had 10+ years in retail and I've never had to 'check my punches' on the computer. The time clock doesn't always work and people come in at different times so management has to manually correct punches. So now, apparently, these employees have to go on "cronos' and internal computer program to look and approve those time punches, otherwise employees will not be paid. 1. Who is responsible for paying employees and 2. are employees responsible for management duties? Primarily my friend is afraid she won't get paid and/ or mess up on the computer.

1. Your friend needs to keep track of her hours with pen and paper. Let payroll know about any mistakes on her pay check immediately. Supervisors are responsible for making sure the punches are recorded correctly.

2. The law requires the Employer to keep accurate records (though not necessarily in any particular form. An employee has no obligation to check their own punches, but, if they do not have some method of checking for accuracy it will be very difficult to prove they were not paid at a later date. Since this employer seems to have issues complying with Wage and Hour laws, it is probably a good idea to check whether the employees are getting uninterrupted 30 minute lunch breaks that are also mandated by law.

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * Rfinn@hackermurphy.com * http://www.hackermurphy.com/Attorneys/Ryan-M-Finn.shtml * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

3. She must be paid for the hours she works, so long as she can prove she worked those hours. But if the boss wants her to check her punches and make sure they are accurate then she had better do it.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/employattorney) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRicottaandMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.