My manager just recently changed. He has a personal vendetta against me(13 year successful employee) how should I respond ?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Two weeks ago I got a glowing review which includes I was over 100% of plan. I was promoted at the end of 2012 with his boss with a substantial raise. Now two weeks later my boss writes me a letter copying his boss all these performance issues I have that contradict his previous review just two weeks before that. For example in the beginning of may, he writes I am a team player and then two weeks later I am not,, I have a good understanding of my customers and now not,I go to a sales conference and ask him what the attire is - he says casual-he states he will be wearing a shirt with a concert logo on it, I wear a shirt with a sports logo on it and he blasts me in the e-mail that wearing this was unprofessional. He is an alcoholic. How should I respond to him?his boss? personnel?

1. Denise Kingue-Bonnaig

3

Answered . It’s important to determine whether the personal vendetta is based on a protected category under the law- i.e. gender, race, etc, or because you have previously lodged a complaint accusing said individual for violating the law.

Even if the hostility exists for ‘no reason’ which is not protected under the law, an employee should address all negative performance evaluations he receives in the workplace, if he wants to keep his job. Please consult with an experienced employment lawyer about responding to the poor review and obtain an education about how your performance reviews and other items in your personnel file can be used in your favor or against you, throughout your professional career.

This is a time-sensitive issue; it’s crucial that you consult with an experienced employment lawyer, ASAP.

-Denise K. Bonnaig
    212-374-1511

2. Stuart Warren Moskowitz

3

Answered . As previous counsel has stated, there are protected classes under the law and you need to determine from the facts whether you fit into one of the categories : age, race, sex, national origin, disability and if you complained of one of them previously, ect. . i.e. are you being treated differently under the law from similarly situated employees.
    You should discuss your situation with competent counsel immediately.

3. John P Corrigan

2

1

Answered . I am sorry for your plight but recommend you start a plan of action with a civil litigator experienced in employment disputes.....it seems to me that you are getting set up for the chopping block and they are just trying to create a file to protect themselves when the deed is done. You give no facts about the new manager in terms of your belief as to WHY he hates you so.....what are e emotional dynamics here to bring about such hostility....I don't even know if you are a woman or a man.....I recommend you call Russell Yankwitt in White Plains which is a boutique litigation firm of which I am of counsel....many more facts need to be fleshed out to develop an appropriate short term and long term strategy knowing you are likely going to be terminated.