My maintenance man got into a fight with one of my tenants. He also entered an apartment without permission. Fire him?

Pueblo, CO |

My maintenance man got into a verbal exchange with a tenant. He and witnesses say the tenant "lunged" at him 3 times without striking. The maintenance man then beat the guy up pretty bad breaking his own hand during the fight and leaving marks, cuts and bruises on the tenant. No charges filed (don't know why). The maintenance man also entered one of the apartments without permission despite me telling him not to. there are other issues but these are the most serious. We have no formal contract. He performs repairs and such in exchange for rent (I do have a written document stating just that). He handed me a bill for almost 10k $ stating that he had done a lot of extra work over the last year. Do I have to pay? Can I legally "fire" him?

1. You can and should fire him. You risk liability yourself if you continue to employ a handy man who trepasses in units and assaults residents.

Whether or not you owe him for his "extra" work will depend on what he can show he did, what he can show he spent, and how your agreement of repairs for rent is worded.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Landlord-tenant topics