Skip to main content

My maiden name on my marriage certicate is completely different from my birth name. Do I need a name change?

Philadelphia, PA |

I've been married to my husband for 42 years. He is retiring from city employment and I have been named his beneficiary for all benefits. I'm concerned that my name my make our marriage void and I may not be entitled to spousal benefits.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Call and ask. Your married name usually supercedes your birth name. The city ought to have a response for you.


I agree with Attorney Johns. Additionally, you should know that, if necessary, changing your name under circumstances you described is a simple process. You can pick up a form at your county's department of court records and pay a small filing fee. That should be all there is to it.

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns


Since Mr. Spivak is licensed in your state, I would agree with him.


I also agree with the previous responders. I would call and ask. If it is an issue, speak with a local attorney or go to the prothnotary or law library. Any of those resources will help you with this matter if it does infact have any imapct on you receiving the spuosal benefits.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on without first consulting with an attorney who practices in the related area in the related jurisdiction.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer