Skip to main content

My little boy and I were rear ended earlier this morning by an uninsured, unlicensed driver.

Chicago, IL |

My little boy was belted in the front seat of my compact car and we were stopped at a red light when an SUV hit us. There is a crack in my rear bumper . My son says he feels fine, but I've read that sometimes you don't feel injuries right away. Should I take him to the ER even though it seems like a pretty minor accident or just assume that he's fine unless he tells me otherwise?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Best answer

    You should take your son to the ER. If you feel any discomfort within 48 hours, you should take yourself as well. You should also photograph the damage to your car and notify your insurance carrier that this happened. If it turns out that you or your son have been injured, you will be able to make an uninsured motorist claim on your own insurance so long as your insurance is paid up and you have followed these steps.
    Steven A. Sigmond
    Law Office of Steven A. Sigmond
    345 N. Canal #1208
    Chicago, IL 60606
    (312) 756-1186

    Steven A. Sigmond offers confidential fee consultations to anyone who has been injured in an accident or hurt at work. However, a free consultation is not legal advice. This answer is general information and should not be considered "legal advice." Proper legal advice can only be obtained after hiring an attorney and providing full information regarding your case.

  2. Get treatment.
    Take photos of damage or visible injuries And contact an attorney.

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

  3. In addition to Mr. Hoffman's suggestions, go ahead and turn this into your insurance company. If you have uninsured motorist coverage you may have rights under it.

    I am not your lawyer and an answer on AVVO is not intended as legal advice but is provided for general informational purposes only. If you desire legal advice, please consult a lawyer and form an attorney client relationship.

  4. Your first step should be to take care of your child if he feels any discomfort. Take lots of pictures of your vehicle and any injuries either of you sustain which may show up in the next couple of days. Report the accident to your insurance carrier. Complete the accident report.

    Your fquestion - whether to take your child to the ER - is not a legal question.

  5. #1. Go to ER / doctor
    #2. Retain a personal injury lawyer who can pursue a possible UM claim.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  6. I agree with the responding attorneys. You need to hire an experienced local attorney to protect your rights and best interests. I hope you found my answer helpful.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics