My license was suspended about 4 years ago for DUI. I was pulled over today and my vehicle seized for forfeiture.

Chicago, IL |

A preliminary review is underway, but this vehicle is my family's only means of transportation and is needed to maintain employment. Is there a way to get my vehicle back prior to the scheduled preliminary review?

Were you arrested for a new charge in Washington State? You need to verify if the vehicle was seized for forfieture ( was it a hunting case? - drug case?) or simply being impounded for 48 hours.

Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not permit confidential communication.

I was arrested in a suburb of Chicago. The vehicle has been seized under an old law designed to prevent drug trafficking, but has now been made applicable to drivers who are caught driving on a suspended license for a previous DUI conviction. To my knowledge, the vehicle has been seized for this reason and I am not allowed to post "bond" for the return of my vehicle.

Talk to a local attorney about using an "innocent owner" defense if they intend to take the case to hearing. You can also claim the vehicle is your spouse's only means of transportation, assuming you're married, but a skilled attorney needs to know the details here.

Answers posted here are suggestions only, and are not intended to replace advice given by an attorney that you hire.

Traffic tickets topics