My license may be getting suspended due to lapse in insurance on date of accident.

My parents were paying my car insurance up until a few weeks before my accident. A month ago a driver ran a red light and hit my car. I immediately went home and purchased liability insurance. The company gave me a "complimentary" day of coverage, but my actual policy took affect the day after the accident occurred. I hired an attorney because I was hurt during the wreck, and I believe she reported the accident to the DMV.

I received a letter from the DMV stating that they received information about the accident and needed proof of insurance from me. I know that I did not have insurance during the time of the accident, and am very worried about a license suspension and if there are any other options to try to help me get a lower suspension time or no suspension at all.

1. Your post indicates you have hired an attorney to guide you through this matter. I would contact your attorney to discuss your options. I have reclassified your post so it will be directed to administrative and criminal defense attorneys since your issues are more commonly dealt with in those areas of law practice.

If you are a potential client, the information you disclose to us by email will be kept in strict confidence and will be protected to the full extent of the law. Please be advised, however, that the Law Offices of Frank M. Nunes, Inc. and its lawyers do not represent you until you have signed a retainer agreement with the firm. Until that time, you are responsible for any statutes of limitations or other deadlines for your case or potential case.

2. You should discuss these issues directly with your attorney.

3. No attorney on this board wants to second guess your counsel -- please consult with your attorney about the situation in which you find yourself!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Administrative law topics