My lease has an end date of 8/31/2010 landlord has an end dae of 9/30/2010 whose date is correct?

Norfolk, VA |

I have to give a 60 day notice when I want to move and not renewal the lease so I contacted the landlord to find out about it. The explained that the lease that I have has an incorrect date on it for when my lease is up and that what they have in there system is 9/30/2010 can i legally be responsible for staying there until sept. 30 even tho my lease states august?

The written lease contract will prevail. Assuming that the contract is validly executed.

Send the landlord a well drafted letter that explains that pursuant to the lease executed on ..., for the property located at ... Notice is hereby given that upon termination of the lease term, you plan to vacate the premises and terminate the lease.

Good Luck, if you found this helpful, click on the “thumbs up” below, and should you need any more assistance, please feel free to contact me.

The Mansoor Law Firm, PLLC, also owns and operates the Virginia Virtual Law Firm, at The Virginia Virtual Law Firm is a cost efficient consumer resource that provides inexpensive limited legal services by way of attorney drafted legal forms and letters.

Sam Mansoor, Attorney
Mansoor Law Firm, PLLC
116 R Edwards Ferry Rd NE
Leesburg, VA 20176
(703) 404-7733

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision & should not be based solely upon advertisements. This site presents general information & is not intended as legal advice. Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. That notwithstanding, nothing on these pages, or on any pages linked to these pages, shall be construed as legal advice, nor shall anything on these pages by itself operate to create an attorney/client relationship. An attorney/client relationship cannot be created before the firm has accepted the representation. Acceptance cannot occur before the firm engages you with services & runs a conflict check & your have been notified that you are a client of the law office by email or other written means. Please do not make legal decisions without first having a direct one on one consultation with a Virginia Attorney or an Attorney in you area that knows the relevant facts of your case. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Responses are based solely on Virginia law unless stated otherwise. &

The written lease, any written amendments, govern. If there is doubt, play it safe and use the earliest date as the deadline for giving notice. Include in the letter, because you must give written notice to terminate, a copy of the lease and a statement about the termination date.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Mitchell P. Goldstein
Richmond, VA 23230
804-673-4358 Office Email

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant