My lawyer thought I lie too much and withdrew representation in a criminal case pre-indictment. Was that proper?

Jacksonville, FL |

My lawyer thought I lie too much and withdrew representation in a federal criminal case pre-indictment. Was that proper?

It is really hard to comment on what is and is not proper with so few facts. Was the lawyer hired or appointed? If hired, was he paid?
In addition, lawyers in criminal cases usually cannot simply withdraw. First, they must seek and obtain the permission of the court. If allowed to withdraw, the. Your former lawyer must have had a reason he could tell the judge, and the reason you give, that you lie too much, is not a reason a lawyer would be able to tell a judge at all, so there must be something else.
I think you should consult with and hire an experienced federal defense attorney as son as possible.
I handle federal criminal cases and can provide a free consult. Please just call the office. Good luck.

The above is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice nor makes you a client of the Mosca Law Firm, PA. Please consult with a lawyer in order to obtain confidential legal advice that is tailored to your specific situation and facts.

It might have been proper. We do not have enough facts.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

This is a common scenario. It may have been appropriate. We need to know more.

Please understand that the information given is not to be construed as legal advice. More information would be needed in order to make a more accurate legal determination on your matter. Furthermore, an attorney-client relationship does not begin until a retainer agreement has been signed by the attorney and client.

If the judge allowed withdrawal, then yes. personally, if a client lies to me about a material matter, I terminate the client in accordance with my contract. If I know that a client intends on lying on the stand, then I have a duty to tell the judge that I can no longer represent that client.

I am a Florida attorney who practices in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, and civil rights. You can call me to arrange a free consultation about your case if it is in one of those three areas. My phone number is 407-463-3506. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertising. Before you decide, ask the firm to send you free written information about the lawyer’s qualifications and experience.