My lawyer thought I lie too much and withdrew representation in a criminal case pre-indictment. Was that proper?

Asked 5 months ago - Jacksonville, FL

My lawyer thought I lie too much and withdrew representation in a federal criminal case pre-indictment. Was that proper?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Stephen Andrew Mosca


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is really hard to comment on what is and is not proper with so few facts. Was the lawyer hired or appointed? If hired, was he paid?
    In addition, lawyers in criminal cases usually cannot simply withdraw. First, they must seek and obtain the permission of the court. If allowed to withdraw, the. Your former lawyer must have had a reason he could tell the judge, and the reason you give, that you lie too much, is not a reason a lawyer would be able to tell a judge at all, so there must be something else.
    I think you should consult with and hire an experienced federal defense attorney as son as possible.
    I handle federal criminal cases and can provide a free consult. Please just call the office. Good luck.

    The above is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice nor makes you a client of the Mosca... more
  2. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It might have been proper. We do not have enough facts.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  3. Justin Gary Hausler

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is a common scenario. It may have been appropriate. We need to know more.

    Please understand that the information given is not to be construed as legal advice. More information would be... more
  4. Christopher Robert Dillingham II

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the judge allowed withdrawal, then yes. personally, if a client lies to me about a material matter, I terminate the client in accordance with my contract. If I know that a client intends on lying on the stand, then I have a duty to tell the judge that I can no longer represent that client.

    I am a Florida attorney who practices in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, and civil rights. You can... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,327 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,327 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary