My lawyer refuses to take on my dog bite case. He says he won't make money. Should I report him to Bar?

Austin, TX -

Aaron Scott Hill

Aaron Scott Hill

Family Law Attorney - Monticello, AR

Report him to the bar for what? If someone offered you $10 to dig a ditch for them and you refused because it was not financially rewarding for you, would you be in the wrong?

Find another attorney and be willing to pay them their hourly fee to make it worthwhile, when you end up losing money on it, only blame yourself.

John L. Schroeder

John L. Schroeder

Personal Injury Lawyer - Geneva, IL

There is no ethical violation by refusing to take on a case. He may feel the case is without merit in that there is a lack of liability or an inability to prove damages. Certainly he can refuse. Go shop around if you feel you have a case.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

You might be better off taking out to a bar for a drink, and maybe he'll handle it.

David J. McCormick

David J. McCormick

Personal Injury Lawyer - Milwaukee, WI

Not sure how “your lawyer” can refuse your case. An attorney does not have to take on a case, just like a doctor cannot be forced to treat a patient. If you signed a retainer with the attorney then that is another story and there could be legal reasons why he/she no longer wants to handle the matter.

Jeffrey P. Lowenthal

Jeffrey P. Lowenthal

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Bala Cynwyd, PA

No. There is nothing to report. Lawyers are not required to take cases.

Peter Eric Gollub

Peter Eric Gollub

Animal Law Attorney - Natick, MA

Why would you report this lawyer for declining your case? He may decline the case.

If you believe you have a viable case, your time would be more productively spent talking to one of the many lawyers in the Austin area.

Tatiana Kadetskaya

Tatiana Kadetskaya

Insurance Law Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

If you pay your lawyer per hour, he will take your case.