My lawyer just dropped my divorce case. My divorce should be final in a month. How can I get the help I need?????

Paw Paw, MI |
Filed under: Divorce

I have left an emotionally abusive husband that has controlled me for years. He has a good lawyer and is very sly. I am scared of him and I am afraid to go into court alone. My lawyer dropped my case because I didn't pay the 2500.00 retainer fee with in a certain time frame. I tried calling my lawyer numerous times and could never get a call back. I one met my lawyer once for a few minutes and that was it. I don't feel like I got any help and my biggest fear is losing my 3 yr old daughter. I have no more money and my ex-husband has his family money. I am lost and scared. We have settled everything as far as custody and property. I just have this feeling when he finds out that I have no lawyer then he will really come after me. Can some one give me advise on what to do?

Unfortunately, there is probably not much you can do about your previous attorney, as he is entitled to ask for the retainer prior to starting to work on your case. You should call your local bar association or court clerk to find out if you can get low cost or free legal help in your custody matter. You may also find an attorney who will charge you a smaller fee. Good luck.

Recommended articles about Divorce