My lawyer is telling me to lie about injuries from a minor car accident to make a case. What do I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - City Of Industry, CA

I was going straight on a road when the person on the left merged into me. It was obviously her fault, but it seemed like she doesn't want to take the blame. My parents hired a lawyer and he told me to lie about some injuries so that there was a case to fight for. He directed me to a chiropractor who also told me to lie, and wrote me down for neck pains, upper back pains and headaches which I do not have. He also rewrote the date on the x-rays to make it seem like I went to the office earlier than I did. The lawyer, chiropractor, and my parents are all pressuring me to lie about these injuries so that more money can be made, but I really do not want to lie about this. I have to make a statement with the lawyer soon but I do not know how to avoid this situation. What do I do?

1. Adrienne Patricia Allen

11

Answered . I agree with the others' advice. If you are a minor you may not be able to fire the lawyer, report him or her to the state bar or hire a new lawyer. However, they cannot make you lie. Be true to yourself and stick to what you know is right. Good for you!

2. James Allen Frazier Jr.

10

Answered . First, you need to fire this lawyer and get a new lawyer. Second, you need to report this lawyer to the state bar. I think every lawyer who reads this would agree, this is the type of lawyer that gives lawyers, especially personal injury lawyers, a bad reputation. I am sorry that you are having this experience.

But remember, if you go along with this, you are committing insurance fraud. If it is discovered, you could be prosecuted and punished in the criminal court system. It's not worth it. Do the right thing, right now.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

9

Answered . No reputable lawyer will ever tell you to lie. You need to report this lawyer to your state's bar commission. Above all, despite what your lawyer and your family is telling you to do, you should always tell the truth....especially under oath in a court proceeding. If you weren't injured, you weren't injured.

4. David B Pittman

Pro

9

Answered . Follow your instincts and fire this lawyer. Kudos to you for being an hones person when everyone around you clearly isn't

5. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

6

Answered . Well here is what you have not been told yet. By continuing in this course you may be consider a participant in a crime. Insurance fraud is serious business. You may want to contact a criminal attorney, to work out a report to the District Attorney's office.

6. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

6

Answered . I suggest you fire this attorney and chiropractor immediately and contact the State Bar and also the State agency which oversees chiropractors in your State. File complaints against both.

What you are being asked to do is participate in a conspiracy to commit insurance fraud, which could place you in significant legal trouble and in prison, destroy your ability to get future jobs and otherwise severely impact your future. Do Not Do It!

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  7. Paul J Molinaro

Pro

4

Answered . Should one's lawyer instruct him or her to lie to increase the damages - say things hurt when they don't, etc., one should absolutely lie... that is, one should tell that lawyer he or she is the best lawyer ever, and good looking too… then immediately see another lawyer who is ethical... through one's new lawyer fire the scumbag lawyer... and consider report to the state bar.... of course, I am joking about lying to the lawyer... one should not do that... but there could be potential problems with one's current case should one piss off an unethical jerk of an attorney as he or she could muck up the works of the current suit... one should hire the new attorney who will handle the transfer of files/records, substitution of attorney, any liens the jerk tries to place on the case, etc. Then when the case is said and done a report to the state bar.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

8. Kevin Coluccio

2

Answered . You can not lie about the true facts.