My lawyer is not meeting my needs and continually delays my file for my immigration. What can I do? I have communicated this.

My brother hired an immigration lawyer back in August regarding the new rule to allow undocumented youth and children under 31 to apply for deferred action and work eligibility. Unfortunately, after submitting all necessary documents, the law office continues to delay submitting my brother file. It looks like the office is going through some changes and is severely understaffed. I have communicated to delay and my concerns with the lawyer and he promised for it to be completed today, 10/29/12. I am still on the phone trying to find out why nothing has been done. At this point my needs are not being met with this office, what can I do? There is nothing wrong with my brothers file.

Jacksonville, FL -

Andrew William Clopman

Andrew William Clopman

Immigration Attorney - Stuart, FL

Much like finding the right doctor, sometimes it is helpful to get second opinions when meeting with immigration attorneys. Lawyer communication is a very important aspect of the lawyer/client relationship. When you meet with an attorney, you should set forth your expectations regarding communications and ask the attorney about his or her feelings on the same.

Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Immigration Attorney - Glendale, CA

You have the right to take your file back. And ask for a refund.

Yuri Tsyganov

Yuri Tsyganov

Immigration Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

You need to contact the Florida Bar and voice your concerns http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/flabarwe.nsf

Rebecca Cook Black

Rebecca Cook Black

Immigration Attorney - Jacksonville, FL

Call and request your file and a refund.

Ala M. Hamayel

Ala M. Hamayel

Immigration Attorney - Columbus, OH

You can "fire" your lawyer if he's not communicating with you and you aren't comfortable with him. Ask for your file back and find a new lawyer to help you. Good luck.

Mark Robert Barr

Mark Robert Barr

Immigration Attorney - Denver, CO

And how does your brother feel about the way his case is being handled?

Ardian Gjoka

Ardian Gjoka

Immigration Attorney - Jacksonville, FL

I agree with my colleagues.

Ardian Gjoka, Esq.
GJOKA LAW FIRM, PLLC
Immigration and Social Security Law

8613 Old Kings Rd. S.
Suite 601D
Jacksonville, FL 32217

Phone: 904.351.8749
Fax: 904.800.1102
Email: ag@ag-legal.com
Web: www.ag-legal.com

Patrick Caston Crowley

Patrick Caston Crowley

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

I agree, I would suggest finding a new attorney if there is a lack of communication. Get your file back. I would suggest you make sure to articulate to this lawyer why you are unhappy. Sometimes things can be fixed in an attorney client relationship.

Jayne Windsor Bouchfaa

Jayne Windsor Bouchfaa

Immigration Attorney - West Palm Beach, FL

You have every right to take your file back and seek another attorney. If they haven't already done a substantial amount of work on your brother's case, he can ask for a refund of his fee. I would also have him voice his concerns with the state bar in which this attorney is licensed.

Related Advice