My lawyer has not called me back in months, what should I do?

My court date has come and gone and my lawyer was supposed to go to court for me because I live out of state. However, my attorney will not contact me back. I'm trying to find out the status of my civil case for a seizure of cash. He told me he would take care of my court date for me because I live over 1,000mi away. This was months ago, I call his office and leave a message with his secretary once a week, I send emails, nothing no reply. I'm worried my money is gone and don't know what to do.

1. If you haven't heard from your attorney in months and you are unable to get in contact with him or her, I recommend that you find a new attorney. If you have your case number you can look up the status of your case online. Good luck.

2. Client abandonment is one of the issues that the California State Bar will investigate, and if found to be true, institute disciplinary proceedings against the attorney. Please take a look the following link to a State Bar web page for you to get your complaint started.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation.aspx

I am sorry you have had this bad experience. Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.