My lawyer has not called me back in months, what should I do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

My court date has come and gone and my lawyer was supposed to go to court for me because I live out of state. However, my attorney will not contact me back. I'm trying to find out the status of my civil case for a seizure of cash. He told me he would take care of my court date for me because I live over 1,000mi away. This was months ago, I call his office and leave a message with his secretary once a week, I send emails, nothing no reply. I'm worried my money is gone and don't know what to do.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Scheherazade B Rastegar-Djavahery

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If you haven't heard from your attorney in months and you are unable to get in contact with him or her, I recommend that you find a new attorney. If you have your case number you can look up the status of your case online. Good luck.

  2. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Client abandonment is one of the issues that the California State Bar will investigate, and if found to be true, institute disciplinary proceedings against the attorney. Please take a look the following link to a State Bar web page for you to get your complaint started.

    I am sorry you have had this bad experience. Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
  3. Ajay Mohan Kwatra


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You should probably do something.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,737 answers this week

3,189 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,737 answers this week

3,189 attorneys answering