My lawyer contact me and said the case was settle and I have to come in to sign papers when do I get the money

Philadelphia, PA |
Filed under: Professional ethics

Do I get it the same day

Without being flip, you should ask your attorney that question. I would add, that I have never received a settlement check from the adverse party on the same that the release was signed.

Stew Crawford Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

223 North Monroe Street
Media, Pa 19063 (Philadelphia Area)

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

Some patience is required. Not only do settlement checks rarely accompany release documents, but insurance companies often send warrants, not checks, which are not immediately cashable. Then, if that's not enough delay, your own attorney cannot ethically release funds to you from his/her trust account the settlement check has cleared.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

It takes weeks to months from the time settlement documents are received by the defendant until the client can be paid. Every case is different. Your lawyer is in the best position to answer this question.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics