My Lawyer calls me back on the weekends?

Asked over 2 years ago - Wellesley, MA

I hired her last year, and I hardly ever get calls back even the same week, she calls or emails me on the weekends so I have to return her call- is this normal?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

21

39

Best Answer

Answered . Lawyers like anyone else are in the service business, you wouldn't put up with that at your local market, or mcdonalds or starbucks or for that matter your doctor, so why put up with it for your lawyer. Most lawyers are so arrogant they think they are doing you a favor helping you at all. The party is over in the legal profession, look at this social media site, you are getting answers within minutes or hours. Hold your lawyer to the same standard that you would hold any professional, trust them and respect their time and make them respect yours.

2. Howard M Lewis

Pro

13

23

Answered . t

3. Paul Y. Lee

19

1

Answered . I am not sure if there is a "normal." Many attorneys are quite busy and it may not be out of the ordinary for an attorney to wait until the weekend to call clients back. That being said, some attorneys make it a practice to return calls the same day or within 24 hours. If more prompt call backs are important to you, let your attorney know that.

4. Barry Franklin Poulson

18

1

Answered . Many attorneys work long weeks, and the active ones are often in court or the courthouse. You can call your attorney back during the week, leave her a message, and run up your bill. It sounds like dedication to me, but you can shop around for an attorney who works shorter weeks, or simply tell your attorney that your weekends are just too important to be interupted.

5. John Addison Vos

18

Answered . Most people complain that their lawyer does not call them back. You are lucky yours calls you on the weekends, when you are move likely to be home and more likely to have time to talk about your case with her. But no, you do not have to return her calls. Ignore her if you wish. (who is paying for her bill?)

6. Jessica Ann Foley

15

Answered . Honestly, it depends. There are some weeks when I get stuck in court or on trial and I don't call my client's back as quickly as I would like. I do try to call them and at least tell them i'll call them at some point - like on the weekend. However, I can't see not returning emails promptly as that can be done at any time. Also, it's rare that I don't have time to call back a client within 24 hours.

There are some circumstances where a lawyer has a family emergency or some other issue but hopefully for the most of us, those situations don't arise often.

It doesn't sound like you are getting the service you need, if it's been constant. There is no reason why you can't hire a new lawyer.