My Lawyer calls me back on the weekends?

Wellesley, MA |

I hired her last year, and I hardly ever get calls back even the same week, she calls or emails me on the weekends so I have to return her call- is this normal?

Lawyers like anyone else are in the service business, you wouldn't put up with that at your local market, or mcdonalds or starbucks or for that matter your doctor, so why put up with it for your lawyer. Most lawyers are so arrogant they think they are doing you a favor helping you at all. The party is over in the legal profession, look at this social media site, you are getting answers within minutes or hours. Hold your lawyer to the same standard that you would hold any professional, trust them and respect their time and make them respect yours.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

2. Most people complain that their lawyer does not call them back. You are lucky yours calls you on the weekends, when you are move likely to be home and more likely to have time to talk about your case with her. But no, you do not have to return her calls. Ignore her if you wish. (who is paying for her bill?)

This is general legal information, not intended to apply to your specific case. And I may not be licensed to practice in your particular state. Under Federal Law, I am a debt relief agent.

3. I am not sure if there is a "normal." Many attorneys are quite busy and it may not be out of the ordinary for an attorney to wait until the weekend to call clients back. That being said, some attorneys make it a practice to return calls the same day or within 24 hours. If more prompt call backs are important to you, let your attorney know that.

This response is for information purpose only and does not constitute a legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. Many attorneys work long weeks, and the active ones are often in court or the courthouse. You can call your attorney back during the week, leave her a message, and run up your bill. It sounds like dedication to me, but you can shop around for an attorney who works shorter weeks, or simply tell your attorney that your weekends are just too important to be interupted.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

5. t

6. Honestly, it depends. There are some weeks when I get stuck in court or on trial and I don't call my client's back as quickly as I would like. I do try to call them and at least tell them i'll call them at some point - like on the weekend. However, I can't see not returning emails promptly as that can be done at any time. Also, it's rare that I don't have time to call back a client within 24 hours.

There are some circumstances where a lawyer has a family emergency or some other issue but hopefully for the most of us, those situations don't arise often.

It doesn't sound like you are getting the service you need, if it's been constant. There is no reason why you can't hire a new lawyer.

Child custody topics