My lawyer advised me to plea guilty to a charge I didnt do based on a letter he sent to me saying the judge was a difficult judg

Asked over 1 year ago - Shreveport, LA

After 18 months of going back and forth to court my paid attorney advised me to accept a felony plea.He sent me a letter the day before court saying i was going to court and take a felony plea because the judge was not a fair judge and the victims family was persuing a civil law suit .I was under the impression he was preparing for trial. The charge ended up having me to register as a sex offender and there was no sexual contact.There was a video and wittnesses in the video that the police didnt interview,the school officials but a person did come forward to speak with my attorney about the young lady and her character.I didnt know what to do at the court that day when his letter made it seem as though all the odds were against me.

1. Frank Mascagni III

3

Answered . I am unsure of the question. If I understand, your attorney gave you advice to settle the case without a jury trial and accept the offer made by the prosecutor. That is not unusual, that is what you retained the lawyer to do, to give you legal advice. He is closer to the facts and the law of the case, than anyone on the avvo site with very limited information.

I would further assume you reviewed the written plea agreement, signed it and then entered a plea of guilt under oath before the trial judge. I further assume you advised you committed the crime and were satisfied with the advice of your counsel. The decision to have a trial by jury and whether to enter a plea is yours and yours alone with advice of counsel.

If you are having second thoughts, you better act ASAP. Discuss with your attorney and/or seek another opinion ASAP if you want to consider an attempt at withdrawal of the plea.

2. Shelley A Goff

1

Answered . You need to either listen to your attorney or get a second opinion. Pleading guilty to a sex offense is a very serious, life altering event. You need to be very very sure you can live with the consequences.