My lawyer, although nice, is consistently outwitted by my ex! Can i hire another lawyer?

Asked about 2 years ago - Glenside, PA

I understand these things take time. With that said, there has been no preparation, no proactive , strategic or preemptive strikes, everything here has been very laid and we respond to issues as they come. Im clueless and to make it worse if i don't do research and ask the questions, i dont get counsel. If i dont email or call to ask for something to get done it doesn't, especially now that he has blown through the retainer!!! Can I hire another lawyer

1. Matthew F. Fox

4

Answered . I would recommend that you set an appointment with your attorney for the purpose of discussing all of your complaints with him / her. You are absolutely free to retain new counsel at any time. However, before doing so, I do believe that it is worthwhile to confront your attorney with your concerns. It will always take some time for a new attorney to get acquainted with your case. This translates to some additional expense for you in that process. There is some chance that your present attorney hears your concerns and acts to address them. If not, you will feel more comfortable with your decision to change counsel.

2. Patrick A Deibler

2

Answered . Yes. The client controls the relationship, and the attorney works for you. Send a letter to your present attorney both informing him of your desire to seek alternative counsel and formerly requesting your file. Best of luck finding a new attorney.

Patrick A. Deibler, Esq.
    Jacques H. Geisenberger, Jr., P.C.
    941 Wheatland Ave., Ste 302
    Lancaster, PA 17602
    (717)-397-3500

DISCLAIMER: Mr. Deibler is a Pennsylvania-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice.You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Jacques H. Geisenberger, Jr., P.C.,does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege.

3. Jennifer Anne Brandt

1

Answered . You always have the right to hire new counsel and should do so if you believe that your current lawyer is not being responsive to your needs. Divorces do take time, and you need to weigh proactiveness with the economic benefits of same. However, your lawyer should at a minimum, be cognizant of your goals and should provide you an explanation of his or her strategy in the case. You may want to meet with your lawyer to explain your frustration, but if things don't change, you should not hesitate moving on.