Skip to main content

My late father had stock and wondering if I can have stocks transfered in my name, and what type of inheritance tax needs paid?

Warfordsburg, PA |

the stock is in fathers name but estate to be divided in half with my brother can I get stock divided and not liquify my half of stock

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In Pennsylvania, there is a 4.5% inheritance tax on the value of any assets inherited by a child from a deceased parent. Generally speaking, whether or not you can receive an "in kind" distribution of your father's stock will depend on whether the estate has enough liquid assets to pay its debts, taxes, funeral expenses, etc. If the estate is liquid and solvent, then you can certainly request that the personal representative of the estate make an in kind distribution of stock to you, rather than the monetary value of the stock.

This response is meant simply to provide the questioning party with a general overview of the law, and does not give rise to an attorney-client relationship. The questioning party should consult with an attorney before taking any action.


Ms Ancone is 100% correct and I could not have said it better myself.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:


I agree with Attorney Ancone. She provided an excellent and sound response to your question. I couldn't have explained it any better.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on. You should consult an attorney who practices in the relevant area of the relevant jurisdiction.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer