My last name has changed, need to renew my green card. Can I wait until next Feb when I can apply for citizenship tochange name?

Redwood City, CA |

Do I need to change my last name on the green card within a specific time frame? I'm planning a trip abroad, and I'm concerned if I can have any problems coming in to the US. My passport and green card will have same last name. Thank you!

Best not to seek to renew your green card but wait until apply for citizenship and change your name for free then.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you for answering my question!

Yes. This is the best and the simplest of all answers.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Thank you for answering my question!

Recommended articles about Immigration