My last employer made me sign a non compete agreement that said i would have to delete linkedin contacts upon leaving.

Scottsdale, AZ |

The company is threatening to take me to court if I do not delete these contacts and that I would be responsible for attorney fees. Will this document that i signed hold up in court?

Completely delete your account or just the contacts, related to business, that you made while working there?

Yes, they could sue you, but... what would the damages be? In a vacuum, knowing nothing other than what is in your question, sounds like your employer is being unreasonable. This is also assuming your non-compete is valid, which it something that needs to be looked at.

Social media in general is so new, there is not enough significant case law out there to give you a sound answer.

This might come down to you and your old employer finding a middle ground where you delete business related contacts you gained while working there, promise not to contact them for a while, and they covenant not to sue.

You should contact an attorney in your area to talk about all the facts and advise you.

Thank you Andrew. They are asking that i delete all contacts that i made during my 4 years at the company. They are saying i would be resposible for legal costs should it go to court and be ruled in their favor. The site in question does not time stamp when a conection is made so i do not see how they can ask me to do this. Also, there is no date on th enon compete (of when i signed it).

Andrew Endicott Schrafel

Andrew Endicott Schrafel

There are a lot of moving parts to this question, you would be best served contacting an attorney in your area to give you legal advice. Even though linkedin is not time stamped, see if you have an email in your archive that notes the date the connection was created. Can you speak to your former employer rationally? Linkedin is not just for business, many people are connected to friends also. If you send them a list of people you are socially connected to and do not have a business relationship with, see if they are willing to be reasonable and let you keep those contacts. If you are concerned about them filing suit you should really contact an attorney in your area to advise you, not just on the linkedin issue but also the general validity of the non-compete you signed.

Thank you Andrew - time to check with an attorney. I appreciate your help!

Check out this article written by a law firm about the rules in AZ.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.

It is impossible to tell you if the agreement will hold up without being able to review the agreement and knowing more about the business and your role. Having said all of that, requiring you to delete linkedin connections that you had before you went to work there, or unrelated to your work there are not likley to be allowed as a term in the agreement. It would likely be worth your time to sit down with an attorney for an hour or two and discuss this in greater detail. Good luck.

This information is provided for general informational purposes and is not intended as legal advice. An attorney licensed in your jurisdiction can answer questions specific to your specific fact situation and provide you appropriate advice as necessary based on the specific facts of your matter and the jurisdiction in which you reside. If you are in Arizona and interested in discussing your matter further I can be reached at: (480) 838-9000 Mark D. Fullerton, P.C. 1839 S. Alma School Road, Suite 275 Mesa, Arizona 85210

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes