Skip to main content

My landlords are in jail, both husband & wife. A family member is asking for the rent money. What should I do?

Laredo, TX |

We signed a contract for me to deposit money in account. That account has been frozen by the government. They have charges with money laundering, distributing narcotics. There home and cars where taken away from them. Can they take this house too? They do have other homes for rent as well. Please help!

Attorney Answers 2


Regardless of your landlords' situation, you are most likely going to owe rent for the time period that you are living in the rental property. It would be reasonable to tell the family member that the landlords should send you something in writing if they want you to pay the rent in a method that is not outlined in the lease. You should be prepared to pay any rent you owe immediately once you receive notice from the landlords on how to pay the rent (or notice from a new owner showing they are entitled to receive the rent).

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Just because an account is frozen, does not mean you cannot still pay into the account (just cannot get anything out). Usually, the lease states how rent is to be paid, and if the landlord wants it to be sent differently, then they must provide written instructions. I agree with the attorney, ask the family member for written instructions. Otherwise, attempt to pay in the usual manner. Rent is due pursuant to the agreement and the agreement is all that matters to judge deciding whether to evict or not.

If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it establish or intend to establish an attorney-client relationship. You should always speak with a licensed attorney regarding your legal rights before taking or not taking any particular action.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics