My landlord wants to sell the house - do i have to let him show - or can I expect him to wait until my 30 days is up?

Denver, CO |

I do not want to move - cannot buy the house - I am on a month-to-month lease - have lived here 3 years - and would like to not have showings so i can prepare to move. What are my rights?

1. Your rights with regard to refusing to allow the landlord entrance to your home for the purpose of showing of the home to perspective tenants will likely be defined by your lease agreement. Most leases will allow the landlord to enter the premises to show potential tenants the home prior to your departure, with "reasonable" notice. However, as a tenant you have the right of exclusive possession, if you have not bargained away that right in the lease agreement. That is, if you lease does not explicit give the landlord the right to enter the property to show perspective tenants then you may deny him access.
    I hope this helps and good luck.

Donald at Robinson and Henry, PC at (303) 688-0944 or Reception@RobinsonandHenry.com. The above information is provided to you “AS IS,” does not constitute legal advice and we are not acting as your attorney. Because we do not have a full view of the facts in providing the above information we make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this web site and its associated sites. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case and the information provided to you may not be an appropriate fit in your case. Nothing here is provided or should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel. This postings is for educational and information purposes only, not legal advice or legal opinions. The information is not intended to create a lawyer-client relationship between the author and you.

2. If you have any problems here -- you ought to contact my colleague Mr. Eby. He is a frequent contributor to this site and his guidance is solid.

I agree -- the terms of your lease will most likely define the rights of the landlord!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.