My landlord said he wants me out by nov 1 2012 and i have 2 children 8,11 but i havent found another place yet

can he still move in another tenents stuff while im in the apart ment what should i do what are my rights

Boston, MA -

Jennifer L. DiCarlo

Jennifer L. DiCarlo

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Wakefield, MA

Presuming you are renting in Massachusetts, it sounds like your tenant may have terminated your tenancy and nothing more. But, even if that is so, their are still strict requirements your landlord must comply with in order to have actually terminated it. Also, termination of your tenancy by way of a notice to quit is just the first step in the eviction process. If you do not vacate by the termination date, your landlord will have to file a summary process case to have you evicted by the court. That can take weeks and then there are still several steps that require time. You may have defenses and may be able to postpone moving. I recommend that you consult with a landlord attorney to determine what your rights and obligations are.

Jeffrey K. Varszegi

Jeffrey K. Varszegi

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Andover, MA

No, he can't move in a new tenant's belongings while you're in possession.

It's impossible to assess your rights and liabilities without knowing more. What are the grounds for asking you to move out? Are you current with your rent? Are you a defendant in an eviction case? Have you received a notice to quit? Are you under a lease? Do you have claims based on bad conditions, retaliation, mishandling of your security deposit, or other grounds?

Note that the landlord's just saying he wants you out doesn't mean you have to be out by that date, or that you necessarily even have to move at all. Everything depends on the facts, and the first step in a normal eviction is for the landlord to give you a notice to quit, then commence a court action after the expiration of that notice.

I'm guessing that what's happening is that you're behind on your rent, that the landlord wants to rerent your apartment, but also the landlord wants to avoid the expense of a court action. You may well have claims that are worthwhile to pursue, if the landlord knows so little of the law that he feels free to move in a new prospective tenant's belongings. Consult with an attorney, and good luck.

Erik Hammarlund

Erik Hammarlund

Real Estate Attorney - Vineyard Haven, MA

Without knowing more, we can't comment on your rights in general (Have you paid rent? Do you have a lease? Have you been to court?)

I can say, however, that he CANNOT move other people's possessions into the apartment. If he does, you can sue him and win a valuable claim.

You should contact an attorney for help, or repost the question.

Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

Family Law Attorney - Boston, MA

Based on the limited information provided in your question, it sounds like your rights are seriously in jeopardy with this landlord. Your landlord may not be following the law, but you will need an attorney to assert your rights. Generally, you must be given an entire rental period (usually one month) before the tenancy is terminated. Only after your tenancy expires can the landlord attempt to evict you by filing an eviction action in court. Only after the landlord obtains a judgment of possession from the court can a sheriff remove you from the apartment.

Related Advice