My landlord posted "Beware of Dog" signs on my yard for his dogs, can he do that?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sandstone, MN

Prior to the signs being posted, his dogs went after some of my guests. We talked and he said he would tie the dogs up when they went outside. His dogs went after another of my guests recently. I came home to find a sign posted on each side of my driveway saying "Beware of Dog". I wasn't informed that he was going to post those signs. Do those signs now mean that if his dogs go after my guests again, he isn't responsible? His dogs are never tied up and enter my yard quite often and even try to come into my house.

1. John K Lassen

2

Answered . A plastic sign won't relieve him of liability.

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

Pro

2

Answered . A sign won't insulate the landlord from liability.

3. Michael R Crosner

1

Answered . No, he can still be held liable depending of the facts of the incident

4. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

1

Answered . Generally the signs would not prevent your landlord's liability, particularly with the prior bite history of these dogs.

But, to get directly to your question about the legality of posting the signs, it depends upon whether or not you have full possession of the area where the signs were posted. If you share the property with the landlord and the area is what is sometimes referred to as "common areas" your landlord has the right to post the signs. Actually, the signs are a good idea to help alert unsuspecting visitors. You may want to call the animal control Warden in your area to report these dogs as running loose. You may have a leash law which is being violated by the landlord.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  5. Robert Bruce Kopelson

Answered . Get some renters ins. If you invite guests over, and you know the dog may be there or come in your yard or house and you know they have bitten people before, you could be sued if a guest gets bitten.