My landlord name is vincent m robinson but the man who rented me the house name is john ivery he says he's the brother

Asked 12 months ago - Orlando, FL

but he has been he one picking up my rent and writteing my recietes
what sould i do.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carol Lynne Zimmerly

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should write or call the property owner and ask him to put instructions in writing that he chooses his brother John Ivery as his local agent for all purposes, including collection of rent.

    If you don't know how to contact the owner, you can try looking up the records at the property appraiser's website. It should list a mailing address for the owner of record.

    If you still can't find a way to contact the owner, make an appointment with a local landlord tenant attorney to help you.

    You should always pay with personal checks, money orders, or cashier's checks made payable to the owner so that they can't be altered. if you use personal checks, use a pen with permanent ink when you write the checks. Never ever pay in cash.

    If you are unsure, see a local real estate lawyer to talk it over.
    Good luck!

  2. Robert David Devin


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The lease should say who exactly is the landlord. If his brother is acting as his "agent" meaning acting on his behalf with his knowledge and permission that is fine, but the lease should say that or the landlord should have given you written notice that his person is acting on his behalf.

    Keep all your receipts and make copies just in case there is a problem.

    Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship
  3. Cheryl Rivera Smith

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should talk to Vincent Robinson to get written instruction to pay the rent to John Ivery.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,246 answers this week

2,927 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,246 answers this week

2,927 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary