My landlord lives in Florida, but his rental property is in Georgia. How can I get my deposit back if he refuses to return it?

Asked about 2 years ago - Smyrna, GA

He did not take into consideration normal wear and tear and there was no damage to the property.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

    Contributor Level 18


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If more than thirty days have passed since the day that you vacated the premises and your landlord either did not return your security deposit, or withheld too much, then you can file a complaint for return of the deposit that was wrongfully withheld. If your landlord does not fall within an exception, you may be able to receive up to three times the amount withheld.

    While complaints are usually filed in the state and county where the defendant lives, there are some exceptions. Landlord/tenant complaints are one such exception. Thus, you can file your request for return of your deposit in the county where the rental property is located.

    I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

    ~ Kem Eyo

    The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor... more
  2. Wesley Kent Hill

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Security deposits can be a sticky issue. Normal wear and tear is a relative concept so the more proof you have the better. It is always a great idea to take pictures of the property at the time of move in and at the time of move out. Most cameras will date the pictures automatically if that function is working. I would first write a demand letter requesting your deposit or at least an accounting. If you do not agree with the landlord's assessment, sue for a return of your deposit in small claims court. You do have some leverage if the property owned is in Georgia.

    Good luck. I know how frustrating this can be.

    Wes Hill

    This response does not create an attorney client relationship nor should the advice be relied upon because it is... more
  3. Robert A. Stumpf

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I would think you could sue him in Georgia for the money, but it might not make sense to do so, depending on the size of the deposit.

    This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help... more

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Renting property

Rentals are houses, apartments, or similar where the resident pays the building's owner for the right to live there, usually under the terms of a written lease.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,889 answers this week

3,065 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,889 answers this week

3,065 attorneys answering