My landlord keeps entering my house without permission. What are my rights?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lincoln Park, MI

I began renting a flat through a management company in March of this year. The actual owner of the house has entered my residence several times without my permission. I have told the landlord face to face that a landlord needs to give a tenant at min of a 24 hour notice to gain access. However, she continues to do this. I have contacted the Mgt. Co and was told they have also told the home owner to stop. Yesterday was the last time this happened. I had actually placed a chest of doors in front of the door where she has been gaining access. Her son pushed open the door and knocked over the chest of drawers. When I confronted him, he acted as if he had no idea that he needed permission although he has been told. I am so sick of this! Can I legally break my year lease? My rights?

Landlord entered my home yesterday without permission. The day before yesterday as my nephew was leaving my home landlord was in my yard and INSISTED in a very loud voice that he go back in and get me and demanded that she have access to the basement right then.

1. John J. Keenan

5

1

Answered . You are entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of your rental unit. Document the intrusions upon your privacy and the fact that you have notified the owner and the management company that the owner and/or her son are not to enter without 24 hours prior notice. If she continues this practice, you would then have a reason to give 30 days notice of your intent to vacate for her breach of your lease. They may just let you go, or they may try to enforce the lease. But, if they do try to enforce the lease, you have a good defense based on the owner's behavior.

Best of luck to you,

John J. Keenan

2. James P. Frederick

5

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It sounds like you are going to need to have an attorney write to the management company and the lawyer insisting that this behavior stop. If they fail to do so, then you would be within your rights to break the lease.

James Frederick

3. Celia R Reed

5

1

Answered . As you know, access without notice is a violation of your rights as a tenant. I would hire a landlord-tenant attorney to put the owner and management company on notice that entry is not permitted without adequate written notice and may be grounds for your termination of the lease.