Skip to main content

My landlord is taking me to court for 1700.00 in rent owed,if i do not show up to court,will a arrest warrant be issued for me?

Augusta, GA |

Signed a lease on 1st of the month,but did not physically move in until the 19th of the same month. Was required to pay another full months rent on 1st of following month. I stayed behind in rent. Was accepted to public housing program and moved out. A summons was delivered to my new home. With the amount of money I make I cannot afford to take time off for a court date. My landlord is now suing me in Magistrate Court, for $1700.00 in rent owed,if I do not show up on the court date,will there be a arrest warrant issued for me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Read the summons. Does it state if you don't appear in court a default judgment will be issued against you, or does it state you can be held in contempt and arrested?


if this is the summons for a complaint for money then no you will not be arrested.


No. But it is truely foolish to ignore the one possibility to reduce the amount of money that will be garnished from your present employer, likely causing you have problems all over again. I recommend to tell the employer about the summons and make whatever arrangements you can to educate yourself regarding these matters. You may find some assistance through Georgia Legal Services, but the key is learning how to handle your money, including budgeting, debt and buying practices. Many churches are now presenting programs like Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University whicjh would be helpful.

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer