My landlord is selling and gave me my 60 day notice, if I find a place tomorrow do I have to give him a 30 day notice?

Redding, CA |

I have lived here for 17 months and he only gave me a telephone call saying I have to vacate in 60 days. He must not be aware he needs to give me written notice.

Your are correct in understanding that your landlord needs to give you the 60 day notice in writing. If you need more time to find a place you can claim the notice is defective. His defective notice likely does not relieve you of your duty to give 30 days notice that you are going to vacate.

Important Disclaimer: The above response is merely general information and is not legal advice. Neither the above question nor the response form an attorney-client relationship. Do not rely on this information in taking, or refraining from taking, any action. There is no expectation of confidentiality in the above question or response.

2. Your landlord's verbal request is not a legal eviction notice. I would not assume that was a legal eviction notice and I recommend that you give your landlord 30 days written notice if you plan to move out.

The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.