My landlord is my roommates mom. She is staying with us for two weeks. WTF?

Asked over 4 years ago - San Francisco, CA

My roommates mother is our landlord. She is an okay lady, but she's here visiting for two weeks. I work hard hours and just want to sit on my couch and relax, but she is posted up in our living room watching TV at night. She also has been running our heater pretty much non-stop, and its not even cold. We never use it. I didn't sign a lease and live month to month, but do I get a discount in rent? Could I ask for one? Or maybe for her to pay for the utility bill? Anyway, this is shitty. I really want her to beat it.

1. Robin Mashal

Answered . Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

I sense your frustration. Technically, you may have a claim against the landlord for constructive eviction. Practically, raising a legal claim against her, especially if you do not have a lease, may get you evicted. Perhaps the solution is to have a friendly conversation and see if she would be willing to give you guys a small break on the next month's rent.