My landlord house payment is 795.41 we pay 1025 and he want to raise it to at least 1200 is that fair

Asked over 1 year ago - Seymour, TN

if its not what grounds do we have to stand on

1. Stephen Alan Sauer

5

Answered . The amount that your landlord pays for the house payment is irrelevant to what you pay in rent. He is setting a rental payment that helps cover his house note on the property along with taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc... A landlord can set a rental rate at whatever he chooses and a tenant can then decide if it's too much or reasonable. There is no law that limits the amount a landlord can charge. The market of potential renters sets that rate. So if he sets the rate too high, the property will remain vacant and the landlord will lose money. If he sets it too low then it will stay rented and the landlord loses potential money he could have made with a higher rate. If you think the new rate is to high, then move out. Or talk to the landlord about a compromised rate that is higher than what you currently pay but less than what he proposes. If you are good tenants, he might agree to a lower amount.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

Answered . Do you have a written lease for a specified term (I.e. a year)? If so, your landlord cannot unilaterally change the terms of your lease. If however, you are a month to month tenant... Meaning you have no written lease, then your landlord may raise rent as long as your landlord provides proper notice.