My landlord has been charging common area utilities to my electric bill without my knowledge. How can I get my money back?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I live in Chicago in an apartment that has 6 rental units and my landlord lives in the 7th unit. He has been charging common area utilities to my electric bill without my knowledge. No he refuses to pay me. Can I take it out of my rent? What are some other ways to get reimbursed? He refuses to negotiate and continues to ask me to provide more and more information.

1. Mark Aaron Silverman

1

Answered . Unless you agreed to this arrangement in your lease it is not legal. You can sue to recover the amounts you have paid that you can attribute to common-area usage. If this is a 7-unit building in Chicago, you may have other rights against the landlord under the local Ordinance. An attorney in this area can help you determine if those kinds of rights apply.

This information is general and does not constitute legal advice, or create an attorney client relationship.
  2. Emma Lee Scott

Answered . I agree with the above answers, and would add that this unit would likely not be covered under the CRLTO because it is an owner occupied building with 6 or fewer units.

3. Cheryl Rivera Smith

Answered . Withholding from your rent could cause you to be evicted. I would call the electric company to get their portion rewired to their own meter. You could sue for reimbursement in your small claims court.