My landlord built my unit without permits. code enforcment says I will have to move. what should I do. can I sue.

Asked over 1 year ago - Melbourne, FL

I rented a studio apartment from a local real estate agent, turns out it is her personal property and she built the unit without any permits from the state. she has my deposit and I have paid her rent on what is an illegal rental.

1. Heather Morcroft

1

Answered . You should be able to recover from the landlord and she may have to pay for you to stay elsewhere. You need to meet with a landlord tenant attorney.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  2. Edward J. Fucillo

Answered . I agree with my colleague. If your landlord / real estate associate does not reconcile this matter to your satisfaction, you should definitely consult with a local attorney. Florida Statute 83.51 sets forth the obligations a landlord has to maintain the rental property, which includes complying with local building codes. As a licensed real estate associate, your landlord may also have violated duties established by the Florida Real Estate Commission.