My landlord built my unit without permits. code enforcment says I will have to move. what should I do. can I sue.

Asked about 1 year ago - Melbourne, FL

I rented a studio apartment from a local real estate agent, turns out it is her personal property and she built the unit without any permits from the state. she has my deposit and I have paid her rent on what is an illegal rental.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Heather Morcroft

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should be able to recover from the landlord and she may have to pay for you to stay elsewhere. You need to meet with a landlord tenant attorney.

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  2. Edward J. Fucillo

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. If your landlord / real estate associate does not reconcile this matter to your satisfaction, you should definitely consult with a local attorney. Florida Statute 83.51 sets forth the obligations a landlord has to maintain the rental property, which includes complying with local building codes. As a licensed real estate associate, your landlord may also have violated duties established by the Florida Real Estate Commission.

    The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,372 answers this week

2,699 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,372 answers this week

2,699 attorneys answering