My landlord built my unit without permits. code enforcment says I will have to move. what should I do. can I sue.

Melbourne, FL |

I rented a studio apartment from a local real estate agent, turns out it is her personal property and she built the unit without any permits from the state. she has my deposit and I have paid her rent on what is an illegal rental.

You should be able to recover from the landlord and she may have to pay for you to stay elsewhere. You need to meet with a landlord tenant attorney.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

I agree with my colleague. If your landlord / real estate associate does not reconcile this matter to your satisfaction, you should definitely consult with a local attorney. Florida Statute 83.51 sets forth the obligations a landlord has to maintain the rental property, which includes complying with local building codes. As a licensed real estate associate, your landlord may also have violated duties established by the Florida Real Estate Commission.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.