My landlord and 2 workers came onto the property and my camera was stolen by one of them.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hyattsville, MD

I live in Maryland. I do not know the other two people the landlord brought into the home I rent from him, so can I sue just him? Or do I have to get the other 2 people's information (which he refuses to provide to me). They worked for him and the only reason why they were in the house, was because he brought them with him. Also, if I did not pay the $250 deductible out of my pocket, but it was deducted from what my insurance company paid me, can I sue them for the $250 deductible as well?

1. Bennett James Wills

Pro

2

1

Answered . You may have a cause of action against the landlord if he removed your personal property. He may have committed a trespass as well, depending on the language of your lease which may require sufficient notice to enter the property. You could sue just him, because the other would have been agent's of his. And if you had to pay a deductible, you can tack that on to your damages because that's what you lost out of pocket.

2. Mark William Oakley

2

1

Answered . First, file a stolen property report with the police. Get a police report/case number. It is possible the police will contact the landlord and obtain the names and contact info of the workers and interview them all as part of their investigation. the longer you wait, the less likely they will get involved. Yes, you can sue, but proving one of them stole your camera can be tricky if you were not present and saw them take it. You would have to establish that no other persons besides yourself and the three who entered your home had the ability to access the property (in other words, there are no other residents or persons with keys and access to the premises). Even in that case, they can deny they took the item.