My L1B Visa is going to expire in July, can I reapply for the L1B in Canada.

San Jose, CA |

My current L1B Visa was awarded to me in India which is where I held my job before my company transfered me to USA. My visa is about to expire and my company wants to reapply instead of apply for extension as they believe reapplying is safer. I wanted to check if I could reapply for the L1B Visa by visiting US Consulate in Canada instead of India? If yes are there any risks in doing so.

Is it really true that extensions are more prone to rejection as compared to reapplication?

1. If you were interviewed for L-1B visa before and it was granted, U.S. Consulate may entertain your application. If they reject it, you have to travel to home country.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

2. Possibly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. I think because of the distance you should be okay going to consulate in Canada but I have never heard that reapplying is easier than applying for an extension. In my opinion the only time applying is easy is when it's a start-up new business. Regardless if whether its an extension or a new application the same facts and financial ability must be demonstrated.