Skip to main content

My kids no longer want to go to their dad. When can they make their choice?

Naples, FL |

They are 11 and 13. He lives 50 minutes away and they have no friends there, have to share a bed. It is their dads uncle's house and they do not want to go there anymore. They rather just go for special occasions and stay with me. Our agreement which we really have not followed due to circumstances says he gets them Thursday - Sunday every other weekend.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Never. Some courts might allow a child to provide their input at age 14, but it is never the child's decision. The decision rests with the parents or if they can't agree then the court's.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer