Skip to main content

My juvenile public defender isn't defending me properly and the case is over 1yr old how do a get a new attorney& motion4 dismal

Riverside, CA |

on July 16,09 i went to juvenile hall for a couple felonies was in till my 18th b-day then released on probation on September 27th of 2009 and completed a 90 inpatient rehab center and was discharged from probation a year early. I stayed sober and enrolled in collage and have been attending AA meetings regularly and have stayed sober over a years length now. I revived a letter for a court date for something that may or may not have happened on July 9th of last year. the DA hadn't submitted a discovery and my public defender said she would motion for dismissal and then didn't she isn't returning my calls and I presented her with proper documentation that I'm enrolled in school and have completed the rehab college but she never even showed it to the judge what should I do???

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It sounds like what you want to do is seal your juvenile record. See the directions below.

Juvenile Records

Your Juvenile records do appear on your criminal record. Upon your 18th birthday, you are eligible to petition to have your juvenile records sealed. Once sealed, no one can gain access to them and they will be completely destroyed five years from the date of sealing.

Juvenile records are not automatically sealed upon your 18th birthday. You must affirmatively petition the juvenile court to have them sealed. You can do this by filing out a form and filing it with the juvenile court in the county in which you were convicted. Contact the juvenile court in the county you were convicted, and ask them to send you a copy of the form used in that county. Check to see if they have any special filing requirements such as additional photocopies or the need to serve copies of the petition on any government agencies, and get the correct information for filing by mail. Usually, there is no fee.

If you do not petition to have your juvenile records sealed and destroyed, they will remain on your record until your 38th birthday, then they will be destroyed.

This is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This is not intended to be legal advice in your specific case. It's impossible to give detailed, accurate advice based on a few sentences on a website. You should always seek advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who can give you an informed opinion after reviewing all of the relevant information in your case.


You should definately follow my colleague's directions and be proactive about the situation. Sounds like you have really worked hard to turn your life around and help yourself...good luck!

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer