My joint account as been seized by child support order. Court order is not for me, it's my boyfriend.

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

My taxes for me and my children have been accepted to the IRS. The refund is suppose to be direct deposit into that seized account. How can I stop/prevent my refund from entering that seized account and place into my sole-bank account. I have no order for child support, and I want to protect my taxes and child taxes from being taken. Should I contact the IRS immediately and are they able to stop this transaction from happening? PLEASE ADVISE, DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP! Thank you!

1. Diane L Gruber

Pro

3

2

Answered . Short-term answer: Call or visit the bank each day to see if the IRS has deposited your tax refund. [In my own experience, if you filed electronically, you will receive the $$$ within 2 weeks.] When it has, rush to the bank, take ALL the money out and close the joint account. Open an account JUST in your name. Long-term answer: don't own any assets jointly with this deadbeat. BTW, I have never known Oregon Child Support Enforcement to garnish bank accounts. Either your boyfriend owes a LOT of past due child support and/or he rarely has a job where they can attach his wages. Attaching wages & the payor's tax refunds is the normal way CSE collects $$$ from chronic deadbeats. To reach this point he has ignored MANY attempts by CSE to set up payment plans. Good luck.

2. Shannon L. Hall

Pro

2

1

Answered . I suggest you try to change the account that the IRS deposits your refund into. By allowing the money to get deposited, you run the risk of losing the money if the account is garnished again.

3. Jay Bodzin

1

Answered . This question was just asked and answered in this thread: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/virginia-fair...

Please read the following notice:

4. Bruce Givner

Pro

1

Answered . If your account has been seized for a support order that is not your obligation, then you should hire a lawyer to get that undon. Diane Gruber gave you excellent practical advice about checking the bank and taking the money once it is deposited.