My job is trying to accuse me of stealing money from them.....they "say" they have me on video but I didn't take it what do I do

Des Moines, IA |

I know I didn't take it and they aren't telling me anything

Hire an attorney.

None of the above information is intended to constitute legal advice; rather it is intended to give the consumer sufficient information to determine whether or not they should consult an attorney regarding their legal matter.

An employer is not a court of law, so the rules of investigation and evidence, and "innocent until proven guilty" etc do not apply. They can rely on hearsay and flimsy evidence to terminate you. There mere allegation of theft is usually sufficient to terminate. I would get a consultation with a local plaintiff employment attorney right away. Many give free consultations, check beforehand. Use the "find a lawyer" tool on AVVO.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Consult a local employment attorney. The employer does not have to prove that it is telling the truth as it relates to your job. If criminal charges are pursued, the police will probably want to see the video.

It is not clear if you are concerned about your continued employment, or criminal charges, or both. As far as employment, keep in mind that Iowa is an at-will employment state, which means that unless there is a union or employment contract that says otherwise, you can be fire for any non-discriminatory reason, or no reason at all. For any criminal charges, retain an attorney sooner rather than later.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.