My job is trying to accuse me of stealing money from them.....they "say" they have me on video but I didn't take it what do I do

Asked 10 months ago - Des Moines, IA

I know I didn't take it and they aren't telling me anything

1. Thomas O. Moens

3

Answered . It is not clear if you are concerned about your continued employment, or criminal charges, or both. As far as employment, keep in mind that Iowa is an at-will employment state, which means that unless there is a union or employment contract that says otherwise, you can be fire for any non-discriminatory reason, or no reason at all. For any criminal charges, retain an attorney sooner rather than later.

2. Golnar Sargeant

3

1

Answered . An employer is not a court of law, so the rules of investigation and evidence, and "innocent until proven guilty" etc do not apply. They can rely on hearsay and flimsy evidence to terminate you. There mere allegation of theft is usually sufficient to terminate. I would get a consultation with a local plaintiff employment attorney right away. Many give free consultations, check beforehand. Use the "find a lawyer" tool on AVVO.

3. Alfred Fargione

Pro

1

Answered . Hire an attorney.

4. Mishka L Marshall

Pro

1

Answered . Consult a local employment attorney. The employer does not have to prove that it is telling the truth as it relates to your job. If criminal charges are pursued, the police will probably want to see the video.